YHIS is proud to be an authorized International Baccalaureate (IB) World School for the Primary Years Programme (PYP)The International Baccalaureate aims to develop inquiring, knowledgeable, and caring young people who help to create a better and more peaceful world through intercultural understanding and respect. To this end, the organization works with schools, governments and international organizations to develop programs that encourage students across the world to become active, compassionate, and lifelong learners who under- stand other people and their differences.
What is the IB Program?
In 1968, the IB Diploma Programme (DP) was established to provide a challenging and comprehensive education that would enable students to understand and manage the complexities of our world and provide them with skills and attitudes for taking responsible action for the future. Such an education was rooted in the belief that people who are equipped to make a more just and peaceful world need an education that crosses disciplinary, cultural, national, and geographical boundaries. Today, the IB’s work is informed by research and by over 40 years of practical experience.
Informed by these values, an IB education
Centers on learners
Develops effective approaches to teaching and learning
Works within global contexts
Explores significant content
The IB Primary Years Programme
The IB Primary Years Programme (PYP) offers an inquiry-based, transdisciplinary curriculum-framework that builds conceptual understanding. It embraces a student-centered approach to education for children aged 3-12. It reflects the best of educational research, thought leader- ship, and experience derived from IB World Schools.
- Create educational opportunities that encourage healthy relationships, individual and shared responsibility, and effective teamwork and collaboration.
- Help students make informed, reasoned, ethical judgments and develop the flexibility, perseverance, and confidence they need to bring about meaningful change.
- Inspire students to ask questions, pursue personal aspirations, set challenging goals, and develop the persistence to achieve the the latter
- Encourage the creation of rich personal and cultural identities.
All PYP teachers receive professional development in IB approaches to teaching and learning from certified IB workshop leaders. This is a requirement for IB World Schools implementing the PYP.
- IB World Schools (the only schools authorized to offer IB programs) are subject to a strict accreditation process monitored by the IB, ensuring that schools pro- vide a high-quality education.
- IB teaching methods and curricula are research-based and draw from the best educational practices from systems around the world.
- IB teachers are required to participate in professional-development opportunities to promote continually their awareness of current educational practices and new thinking.
- IB students develop a sense of the world around them and their responsibility to it.
- IB programs are recognized internationally and ease the educational transitions of mo- bile students so that their education is not adversely affected if their families relocate.
Recognizing the significance of the IB curriculum, YHIS has taken the important step of pursuing authorization as a candidate for the Middle Years Program (MYP). Please stay tuned for important updates!